Saturday, June 6, 2009

Benny's Roommates

Benny joined Beatrix, my 8 year old Irish, and Tommy, my 12 year old cat, when he came to live here.Benny is a bit intimidated by Tommy, a tough old earless tomcat, who scratched Benny's ear on their first meeting. Beatrix is another story. Benny adores her and doesn't like to have her out of his sight. She is just wonderful with him, it's like having a live in dog trainer. He loves to drag her around by the skin on her neck and she allows it, only occasionally telling him to back off.

Benny is now 23 pounds, he's lost more teeth, and he's really turning into a good little dog. Sometimes he worries me because he is so laid back. Irish Terriers I've known are never hyper but they do seem to have lots of energy. Benny is pooped after a 2.5 mile walk. He comes home and sleeps for hours. Then he's usually pretty quiet until the "Puppy Wilds" which take place after dinner. I like to leave the family room door open and Benny's favorite game is to race in and out like a mad dog carrying his toys one by one until he has 6 to 8 things out on the grass. He only does this at night. Then he likes to lie out amongst his toys and chew on each one.

What about the siblings? Laid back or wild?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Suzanne, Benny's brother (Teddy) is very laid back as well, 22 lbs to date and really becoming woven into our family life. He has lost all his teeth (thank God for small miracles) and had a serious liking for chewing my daughters Barbies!
    We are working on his chewing/chasing/nipping problems with the kids. ALL of their clother are ripped at the edged from him!
    But overall he is a dream come true for us, not nearly as much work as expected, just fitsa right in with us and our busy lives, happy to come and go and keep company with us.
    P.S. where did you get the ear glue?? I can not find it here in Jersey!

    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, one more comment, will Teddys beard ever grow in??? Benny is so full in the face, Marianne thought perhaps teddy had been groomed before I got him, do you know anything about that?
    Just thought I would ask :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Beatrix, my love, you are much too tolerant of that Benny rascal. I remember when you were just a wee thing, back when I first met you. I'm happy to hear that Benny adores you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gayle,

    I think Teddy will get some beard but he may never have the full, bushy version. In the 4 pups we got, it's as if there are 2 sets of twins. Benny and Clover look alike and Gemma and Teddy look alike. Gemma also has less of a beard.
    I'm pretty sure Teddy was not groomed before you got him, that's just the way he looks.
    Glue Information: Here's the web address for Tear Mender. www.tearmender.com I've ordered from them direct and also ordered from a pet catalog called PetEdge.

    ReplyDelete